04 August, 2009

A Small (Large) Bump in the Road

Since late May when I ran a 12k I've had my sights set on The Rio International Half Marathon. The a little less than twice the 12k and I was feeling very ready for it. My training back in the States was spotty-but once I returned to Brazil I was very diligent, and I was just about a month out from the race. My training was right on track. Until Sunday when I made the crazy decision to turn on a light in our living room. And bump into a wall. Now my foot looks like this:

I know-it doesn't look so bad, right? That's because the white tape is covering my purple and black toe that is swollen to the size of my thumb. Our nurse at school feels confident I broke the toe, but Paul, in his ample broken bone experience, feels I may have just sprained it. Three days later, it still hurts like crazy and I still limp around like Tiny Tim. I have no idea when I will be able to run again-the nurse told me to stay off of it for 4-6 weeks-almost laughable since the school year started on Monday and I have two little darlings that need me up at home. We'll see. I'm awfully bummed that a goal I've had for many years, and was so close to reaching, disappeared in a split second of clumsiness. I guess there's always next fall (spring).

1 comment:

Cara Tebo said...

Oh man- I'm sorry... Keep at at!