29 September, 2008

Rainy Day Fun

Paul has decided he's lost his blogging mojo. Perhaps it is because he's been suffering from this for the last two weeks and hasn't had the strength to eat, drink, or move-let alone blog. Either way, until he reconsiders, I've taken over the blogging reigns. So, as I said, Paul's been very, very sick for the last two weeks or so. Horribly ill. He braved the ER and Albert Einstein Hospital (a.k.a. Hotel Einstein) and spent the last week stooped over, shuffling between school, home, and bed. Thankfully, none of the rest of us caught the bug-though to be honest I've definitely been tempted to lick his toothbrush. A week in bed and 15 pounds vanishing doesn't sound too bad.

The weather has remained crummy by Brazilian standards. It's been gray and cool (mid 60s) and without the pool all of us were beginning to get a bit of cabin fever. So yesterday, day 10 of Paul's illness, things were really getting ugly around here. The kids were bickering, Paul was holed up in bed, and I was staring at the walls trying to think of interesting and creative things to do. In the end, I told the kids to stay in the playroom and went to work.

Their room looked like this at 10 am:

By 10:15 I'd used my super human strength to transform their room into this:




The kids were thrilled! Noah firmly declared that when Sophie is 17 and he is 19 THEN she can sleep on the top bunk. For the first time in several hours they were smiling for at least 5 minutes straight. And no one was whining! They spent a good 20 minutes climbing up and down, checking out all the possibilities. I think Paul was a little surprised by the whole thing, but he smiled nonetheless, fully aware that desperate times call for desperate measures.

Despite the craziness of the last few weeks the simple things still bring us the most pleasure:



Fresh flowers I picked up at the market. Just this arrangement in a simple mason jar makes me smile. Alot.










Knitting! I have finally learned how to knit. I'm working on a hat for Sophie and then hopefully some Halloween goodies.









And of course this.

No comments: