23 May, 2009

Thank Goodness for Portal

Life has been busy lately. The end of the school year keeps our days filled to the brim, Paul and kids have been sick intermittently, and Paul traveled to Petropolis in Rio de Janiero State this week leaving me to do the solo parenting thing for a few days. I've also been trying to keep some semblance of a training routine for tomorrow's race while feeling pretty run down by everything else. I just realized it is 12.5 kilometers-not just 12. Somehow that is making a big difference to me right now! All of this adds up to pretty poor blog maintenance. Sorry! Hopefully when Paul returns I can download some new photos and at least plaster the screen with cute pictures of Noah and Sophie. I'm sick of looking at my running shoes every time I consider posting a new entry!
Even as busy as things have been I have had time to realize how amazingly wonderful it is to live here in Portal. As much as I loved our house in Virginia, we didn't really have any sense of community there. We had good neighbors (on one side), good friends an hour away, and of course, family nearby-but nothing quite like what we have here.
Just today (Paul's still traveling) the kids and I headed down to the large park around 10:30. We met friends down there and the kids played for a couple of hourse. Then we all (the kids and our friends) headed to the Club for lunch. The kids played more (too cold for swimming though!) and the adults were able to visit and referree occaisonally. After lunch we headed back down to the park-it was just too nice to go inside. It is now almost five o'clock and we just returned home. We are heading to a friend's apartment for a pre-race pasta dinner in half an hour. Such a nice day. Truthfully, here in Portal this is really the norm-not the exception. We are so very lucky.

No comments: