09 May, 2009

Birthdays-Brazilian Style

Sophie and I attended one of her classmates birthdays yesterday. Her friend, Sofia, turned four years old. I had heard about Brazilian birthdays-particularly about the types of birthdays our students, at Sao Paulo's most expensive private school, have each year. I've shied away from parties (except those of close friends) most of this year. I still am not comfortable driving, I'm usually worried I'll be the only English speaker, and I just haven't felt familiar enough with the system to go on my own. I knew many of our friends would be at this party, and my interest was peaked when the fancy invitation arrived with the menu printed on the back. The princesses on the front were enough to have Sophie begging to go. So we did-and this party did not disappoint!
The party was held at a very nice, outdoor restaurant here in Sao Paulo. When we arrived we found valet parking and a photographer waiting. The tables were set up very much like you would find at a wedding-cloth linens, silverware, and centerpieces. The ladybug balloons were really the only clue we were at a 4 year old's birthday party and not at a wedding! Sophie enjoyed the trampoline, ball pits, inflatables, puppet show, and Sleeping Beauty. She also loved the REAL LIVE lamb, ducklings, chicks, puppy, and bunnies! I loved the champagne! We certainly had a great time, but I am definitely happy our children have nearly a year to forget what a Brazilian birthday is like. We'll still be celebrating in style Americana (cake and ice cream!) while we're here.

The set up at Casa de Fazenda


The cake table...probably over 20 Barbies!

Sophie feeding the bunnies

No comments: