01 February, 2010

Perks of the job

So when we came to Sao Paulo, we figured we'd get a great international experience. Little did I know how international the experience would be.

At the end of last school year, I decided that the history portion of my Humanities class was a little bit shortchanged. Not that the curriculum is bad (it's not great...), but more to the point, it's pretty difficult to make 2000 year old history relevant sometimes. So I approached my principal about creating an international trip. The discussions started innocently enough (we were actually poolside at the club, sipping caiparinhas at the time), but culminated in a 9-day trip to Greece that I just returned from. For me, the trip was in many ways a dream-come-true. As a history guy, seeing sites that are more than 3500 years old... artifacts over 8000 years old... it was amazing. But it was so much more than I bargained for. While we didn't go island-hopping or visit the northern peninsulas of Greece, we did spend 8 days primarily in Athens and the Peloponnese. Sure, we headed up to Delphi and down to Cape Sounion for the Temple of Poseidon, but every stop along the way was an amazing, beautiful and rewarding experience. To be sure, Greece is among the most beautiful places I've ever been. As we all know, photos hardly do justice to beauty. But in this case, it's particularly true.
The Parthenon in Athens
With my fellow teachers in Delphi
In Corinth

No comments: